Devon social venture, The Bshirt, supports Medela UK’s ‘The Big Breastfeeding Café’ event - as survey finds talking to other mums is truly the best support
The event at The Orchard Café in Abbotskerswell is part of a nationwide campaign, which returns for its third year running, to demonstrate the importance of mum to mum support and raise awareness of breastfeeding in society.
Medela is once again bringing mums across the UK together to host their very own cafes in the comfort of home, a local coffee shop, or even a nearby hall. Mums are encouraged to celebrate and chat all things breastfeeding, share experiences and support each other over a cuppa and a treat this spring.
- Where: Orchard Cafe and Deli, The Square, Wain Ln, Abbotskerswell, Devon TQ12 5NT
- Date: Tuesday 15th May 2018
- Time: From 2pm
A recent survey completed by over 1,400 mums for Medela UK found that 50% of those questioned believe the most helpful breastfeeding advice and support they received came from local breastfeeding support groups, and family and friends. Ranking significantly higher than all other channels including midwives and GPs, parenting books and websites. The new results show just how valuable speaking to other mums can be. Medela UK’s Education Manager and in-house Lactation Consultant, Sioned Hilton commented:
“The Big Breastfeeding Café continues to be a brilliant way to demonstrate the importance of mum to mum support and raise awareness of breastfeeding in society. We know that breastfeeding can be challenging but we also know that a problem shared, is often a problem halved. Ensuring that all breastfeeding mums have a reassuring and supportive network around them is vital which is why Medela is passionate about encouraging local, mum to mum support with its Big Breastfeeding Café.”
Sophie Thompson, Founder of Baby Bloom Development who has organised the local event with café owner Sam commented: “During my classes I regularly hear stories from mums who have found breastfeeding a challenge. The aim of the Big Breastfeeding Cafe is to create a welcoming atmosphere where mums can socialise, support each other and feel a part of the breastfeeding community. The hope is that with this crucial ‘mum to mum’ support, new mothers feel confident to continue their breastfeeding journey for as long as they choose to.”
Local social venture The Bshirt is delighted to be attending and lending support to the campaign. Set up in March 2017 by two local mums who met at a baby yoga class, they themselves have felt the benefit of mum to mum support.
Co-founders Lisa Lessware and Philippa Doyle have recently celebrated the 1st Birthday of The Bshirt and launched their ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge. The scheme has already been adopted by a number of South West cafés and eateries including Riverford’s Field Kitchen and The Green Table Café in Dartington.
A multi-award-winning ethical breastfeeding clothing brand, The Bshirt has quickly gained endorsements from leading influencers and experts - including breastfeeding specialist, author and midwife Clare Byam-Cook.
With both the NHS and Unicef listing embarrassment at feeding in public as a major barrier to breastfeeding, the team have been thrilled with feedback from customers which has highlighted 83% feeling more confident feeding in front of others while wearing their Bshirts*.
Lisa and Philippa will be at the event helping to highlight the importance of empowering mums to breastfeed with confidence. Commenting on the launch of their scheme, they said: “There are lots of public places such as cafes, restaurants and shops that are happy to have breastfeeding babies on their premises - but it may not be obvious to new mums that this is the case. We hope that by allowing this scheme to be widely available to anyone who wants to make breastfeeding women feel welcome that we can help to change that.”
To find out more about The Bshirt, their ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge and to register interest or to nominate your favourite venue, please visit, www.thebshirt.co.uk.
Mums taking part in The Big Breastfeeding Café 2018 will receive a complete package of everything they need to host a Breastfeeding Café, including expert advice from Medela’s in-house Lactation Consultant, posters, invitations, surprise treats and some all-important tea and biscuits! To sign up, mums simply need to pop an email to [email protected]
Notes to Editors –
*Findings from Bshirt customer feedback survey
About The Bshirt…
- The Bshirt is a social venture founded by two mumpreneurs with many years of breastfeeding experience between them. Leading the way to improve new mums’ confidence and help to make breastfeeding even more accessible - literally - friends and founders Phillipa Doyle and Lisa Lessware officially launched The Bshirt in March 2017.
- Co-Founder Lisa initially had the idea for The Bshirt after giving birth to her son. As she struggled to find easy to wear clothes for breastfeeding from her own wardrobe, keen crafter Lisa set out to tailor her own breastfeeding vest which would enable her to continue to wear both long and short sleeved tops. Following numerous requests for the same design from family and friends (Phillipa being one of the first) - the first Bshirt was born.
- After working to refine the design based on customer feedback from mums, the new brand is already gaining global interest.
- The UK currently has one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world and the NHS and UNICEF both list embarrassment as a key barrier to breastfeeding. The Bshirt is designed to improve confidence while breastfeeding.
- Available to buy online and with independent stockists, collections also include necklaces and breast pads. Profits from the sale of the Bshirt will be donated to established UK charities that support breastfeeding women.
- To find out more about the ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge scheme, register interest or to nominate your favourite venue, please visit, www.thebshirt.co.uk.
- GOLD (first prize) with Best Baby and Toddler Gear 2017 for Best Breastfeeding Clothing Brand
- Platinum (first prize) with Loved By Parents 2017 for Best Feeding Top
- Finalists for Made for Mums 2017 Breastfeeding Accessory