News Information: Friday 23rd March 2018
Celebrating one year since their official launch, Totnes social venture, The Bshirt, is excited to announce the launch of their ‘Breastfeed here with Confidence’ badge scheme.
Founded by two Devon based mumpreneurs in March 2017, The Bshirt is a multi-award-winning ethical breastfeeding clothing brand, which has quickly gained endorsements from leading influencers and experts - including breastfeeding specialist, author and midwife Clare Byam-Cook.
So much more than just a top, co-founders Lisa Lessware and Philippa Doyle are on a mission to help improve breastfeeding rates in the UK, which has some of the lowest rates in the world. Starting in their hometown of Totnes, the badge scheme will be sponsored by The Bshirt and available for all local cafes, restaurants and businesses to display.
With both the NHS and Unicef listing embarrassment at feeding in public as a major barrier to breastfeeding, Lisa and Philippa are thrilled with feedback from customers which has highlighted 83% feeling more confident feeding in front of others while wearing their Bshirts*.
Marking their 1st Birthday with a coffee morning at The Green Table Café, the vibrant Dartington based café has become a go-to meeting spot for local parents. Head Chef and Manager Tara Vaughan-Hughes is delighted to be the first official establishment to sign up to the scheme.
Commenting ahead of the event, Tara said: “We try to make the café as welcoming as possible for everyone, but even so, we know that sometimes mums who are breastfeeding can feel a bit self-conscious in our busy environment. We are really pleased to be the first to display the badge and hope many others sign up to do the same. Well-done to Bshirt for helping mums to feel confident and relaxed while breastfeeding in public!”
Co-founders Lisa and Philippa said: “It has been a huge year for us and the reaction from new mums to our Bshirt collection has been incredible. The Bshirt was born out of a crafty idea which we never expected, but are equally delighted, to have gained so much recognition. As mums of young boys, we juggle work around our families and feel so lucky to be empowering our customers whilst also being able to do the school run.
Lisa and Philippa continued, “We are proud to be sponsoring the ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge so that breastfeeding mothers can immediately know which establishments in their area support breastfeeding. There are lots of public places such as cafes, restaurants and shops that are happy to have breastfeeding babies on their premises - but it may not be obvious to new mums that this is the case. We hope that by allowing this scheme to be widely available to anyone who wants to make breastfeeding women feel welcome that we can help to change that. Plus we would love to put Totnes on the map as the UK’s most breastfeeding friendly town!”
The Bshirt’s aim is to get every single Totnes public place signed up to display a badge, with Hairy Barista and Riverford Field Kitchen being among the first sign-ups.
To find out more about the scheme, register interest or to nominate your favourite venue, please visit, www.thebshirt.co.uk.
Notes to Editors –
*Findings from Bshirt customer feedback survey
About The Bshirt…
- The Bshirt is a social venture founded by two mumpreneurs with many years of breastfeeding experience between them. Leading the way to improve new mums’ confidence and help to make breastfeeding even more accessible - literally - friends and founders Phillipa Doyle and Lisa Lessware officially launched The Bshirt in March 2017.
- Co-Founder Lisa initially had the idea for The Bshirt after giving birth to her son. As she struggled to find easy to wear clothes for breastfeeding from her own wardrobe, keen crafter Lisa set out to tailor her own breastfeeding vest which would enable her to continue to wear both long and short sleeved tops. Following numerous requests for the same design from family and friends (Phillipa being one of the first) - the first Bshirt was born.
- After working to refine the design based on customer feedback from mums, the new brand is already gaining global interest.
- The UK currently has one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world and the NHS and UNICEF both list embarrassment as a key barrier to breastfeeding. The Bshirt is designed to improve confidence while breastfeeding.
- Available to buy online and with independent stockists, collections also include necklaces and breast pads. Profits from the sale of the Bshirt will be donated to established UK charities that support breastfeeding women. www.thebshirt.clothing
- GOLD (first prize) with Best Baby and Toddler Gear 2017 for Best Breastfeeding Clothing Brand
- Platinum (first prize) with Loved By Parents 2017 for Best Feeding Top
- Finalists for Made for Mums 2017 Breastfeeding Accessory
- Lift the Flap, Bshirt - Lift the Flap, £21.99 each ~ £37.99 for any two
- Available in sizes 8 – 18
- Colours - white/ black/ grey/ navy / plum
For further information about The Bshirt, to request high resolution images, or to arrange interview time with Co-Founders Phillipa or Lisa, please contact:
Laura Quick – firstname.lastname@example.org / 07807809119
Check out our new breastfeeding tips section on topics such as the benefits of breastfeeding.
Find out how much easier it is to breastfeed confidently in public with the Bshirt compared to using a breastfeeding cover.
Ethical & Organic
We use only GOTS Certified Organic and responsibly sourced cotton in the manufacture of Bshirt products. This means that there is no use of harmful chemicals, pesticides and dyes. Choosing to buy organic clothing is good for you, your baby and the environment. You can read about our Ethical Fashion Principles here.